The best food based eating pattern to:
- Reduce high cholesterol
- Reduce levels of bad cholesterol (oxidize low density lipoprotein)
- Reduce the risk for diabetes
- Reduce incidence of cancer
- Reduce risk of dementia and memory loss
- Reduce risk of depression
- Reduce your weight (don’t forget moderate portions)
This nutrition plan is strongly linked with a healthier heart,
stronger bones and a longer happier life.
Key components of this food based eating pattern:
- Every meal: Vegetables, fruits, whole wheat grains, olive oil, beans, nuts, legumes - in combination with seeds, herbs and spices.
- Eat at least twice a week fish and seafood.
- Eat weekly moderate portions of poultry, eggs (boiled), cheese and plain yogurt.
- Sporadically: Meats and sweets.
- Enjoy meals with friends and family.
- Plenty of exercise.
So in short:
- Every meal should be a colorful plate of vegetables and fruits.
- Make sure you eat lots of fiber (no refined grains but whole grains).
- Use olive oil and canola oil, sporadically butter (natural) and please no margarine.
- Spice your food with herbs and spices rather than salt.
- Eat nuts – almonds, cashews, pistachios and walnuts.
- Use low fat dairy products in moderations.
- Keep the intake of sweets and meats as low as possible and if eaten as lean and as natural as possible.