The important Role of Exercise in battling obesity
A simple definition of obesity is having too much weight for your height. Obesity is a major cause for life changing diseases like diabetes, heart disease and cancer but also a major cause for chronic pain. Optimal management of obesity should be focused on behavioral modification - changing mindset, daily diet, and physical exercise /activity. The role of physical exercise/ activity is not to lose weight, but to improve your cardiorespiratory fitness level. Your heart and lungs are more able to supply oxygen to the muscles of your body.
Besides improving your quality of life a good cardiorespiratory fitness (CRF) level helps with (among others):
- Prevent life changing illnesses like heart disease, cancer, diabetes and stroke.
- Improves your body composition, so you burn more calories resting.
- Is linked to better brain structure and cognition.
- Improves hormonal disbalance.
- Improves sleep quality.
- Increases the feeling of well-being.
- Diminishes chronic pain.
All of which will help you too
- be more active during the day
- having more energy to do your daily tasks
- having a better mindset to plan your day
- more energy to plan your meals and make better life style choices.
All of which will help you to reduce your weight and to maintain your weight at a lower level which will improve your overall health and overall quality of life.
Rafana works with a qualified multidisciplinary team dedicated to guide the patients in this life changing moment with exercise, education and behavioral changes with the ultimate goal to empower the patients to provide self-care to facilitate the management of their obesity.
Remember you are the only one who has control over your overall health and quality of life.